Disabled Facilities Grants

If you or someone living in your property is disabled you may qualify for a Disabled Facilities Grant (DFG) towards the cost of providing adaptations to enable the disabled person to continue to live there.

Such grants are given by local councils under part I of the Housing Grants, Construction and Regeneration Act 1996.

If you are registered disabled, the grant is mandatory for essential adaptations to give you better freedom of movement into and around your home. Applications for grant assistance are dealt with by the Housing Section following receipt of a referral from Social Services.

While grants for a range of works are mandatory, you should not assume that you will automatically qualify for a grant as they are means tested and some works are only approved at the Local Authority's discretion